We’re only a few days away from this year’s Brewer’s Bash in Fredericton! Put on by Picaroons, the festival will be held this Saturday, July 12th from 11 am – 11 pm in downtown Fredericton at Officer’s Square. This is the second year for the outdoor event, and it promises to be at least as fantastic as last year! With about 60 breweries from across Canada present (about 1/3 of which are from Atlantic Canada), there will be over 300 beers pouring. With many of these beers typically not available in our region, the Bash offers a great excuse to get outside and enjoy a lot of new craft beer!
For entertainment, the outdoor festival will have a DJ spinning music throughout the day, and live tunes in the evening. Both Cyndi Cain and The Chronos Band will be performing; unfortunately, the also-scheduled Zeus has had to cancel due to medical issues. Luckily, Cyndi Cain and Chronos have agreed to extend their sets, so there’ll still be plenty of live music for your listening pleasure!
Ticket-holders can come and go as they please, but there will still be food options available at the festival. Milda’s will be serving up some wood-fired pizzas, and reLiSH will have several burgers available for purchase, including The Brewster, with lager onion chutney, cheddar cheese, and hickory sticks.
As for the beers and ciders that will be available, well, most breweries are keeping it a secret until the day of the festival. But, we’ve spoken with most of the brewers at the Atlantic Canadian breweries that are attending, and managed to get a sneak peek from many of them! Check out the list below:
• New Brunswick:
– Acadie-Broue – Kiebitz coti (Berliner Weisse), Zirable (“pseudo-Lambic”, or American Sour… more on this beer here)
– Big Axe – ShakesBeer Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, Simon Saaz Summer Ale
– Big Tide – Three Pages to the Wind (a “Whiskey Pale Ale”), Tidal Wave Double IPA
– Brasseurs du Petit-Sault – Tante Blanche (Witbier)
– Celtic Knot – Dubh Loki Black IPA, For Shore (Session IPA)
– Grimross – Cheval D’Or, Ben’s Country Cousin, and a new, currently unnamed beer
– Hammond River Brewing – Hop Flash IPA, Hawaiian Pale Ale
– Picaroons – You’ll have to wait until the festival to find out, but it sounds like they have some new and interesting brews planned!
– Pump House – Blueberry Ale, Premium Pilsner, IPA
– Red Rover – Spring Brew, Summer Brew; also, look for a collaboration with Picaroons!
Unfortunately, Railcar Brewing will not be attending, as previously reported. Due to problems brought on by Hurricane Arthur, their recent batch of beer will not be ready in time. We look forward to trying their beer in the very near future!
Also unfortunately, Shiretown has been forced to pull out of the festival. Hopefully we see them at the next festival!
– Quidi Vidi – TBA
• Nova Scotia:
– Big Spruce – Cereal Killer Oatmeal Stout, You Spin Me White Round (White IPA)
– Boxing Rock – Crafty Jack, Temptation Red, Hunky Dory Pale Ale, The Vicar’s Cross Double IPA (bronze medal winner at this year’s Canadian Brewing Awards)
– Garrison – Nut Brown, Nit Wit, Raspberry Wheat Ale, IPA, Tall Ship Amber; they will also be pouring Glutenberg American Pale Ale, Red and Blonde.
– Hell Bay – English Ale, Wee Heavy
– Propeller – IPA, Extra Special Better, Bohemian Style Pilsner, Revolution Russian Imperial Stout, Double IPA
– Uncle Leo’s – Red, IPA, Smoked Porter
• Prince Edward Island:
– PEI Brewing Co. – Blueberry Ale, Landing Day Lager, Vic Park Pale Ale
Looks like plenty of great options, with lots of seasonals and one-offs joining regular-line-up beers! Like last year, the event sold out quickly (despite 500 more tickets being sold this year)… however, they announced this morning that they are holding another ticket giveaway contest later today. Keep an eye on their Facebook page for your chance to win! We hope to see you at the festival on Saturday!